1. Put your butter in your pan and melt
2. Add all of your onions, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic, and cook on medium heat for about 25 minutes until onions are golden brown. Don’t forget to add some salt and pepper.
3. Once onions are brown add your red wine, turn up heat and cook until wine is reduced and almost evaporated
4. Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs (so you don’t eat them)
5. Dust your onions with your flour and cook another 5 minutes to cook off flour taste
6. Add your beef broth and bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10 minutes.
Soup is done!
Make Your Topping
1. Slice your baguette.
2. Top with cheese and bake at about 350 degrees for 10 minutes until bubbly and melted.
3. Float your croutons in your soup.
Tip: If you want to just top the entire soup add your bread and cover top with cheese and put entire bowl of soup with topping in a heat- proof bowl and cook at 350 degrees until topping is melted. You can also broil this, but you need to keep a close eye so you don’t burn.
French onion is a snap!