It seems that we’ve all been peeling our oranges the wrong way our whole lives. Trying to peel the entire peel off at once with your fingers simply results in a shoddy looking orange and some pretty sticky fingers. There’s a better way.
As it turns out, the best way to peel an orange is to actually cut it (not all the way through) and then peel it from there. This way you actually separate the skin from the flesh one half at a time. Here’s what we mean:
1. Hold the orange with your index and thumb finger on the top and bottom (where the stem used to be).
2. With a small knife, cut into the skin of the orange (just deep enough to get through the skin but not cutting into the flesh of the orange).
3. Rotate the orange a full 360 degrees while cutting to cut in a full circle around the orange.
4. Stick your thumb or finger under one side of the newly cut skin and separate the skin from the flesh.
5. Rotate and wiggle your thumb or finger until you’ve completely separated one side of the orange’s skin from it’s flesh.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 with the other half of the orange until you have a solid, round peeled orange.
Blend it, slice it, or shove into face and enjoy!
Head to our How To’s section for more tips and tricks!
Also, check out our Recipes section for all of our favorite recipes plus the recipes from amazing chefs all over NYC!
David is the resident nerd around these parts. Running a popular tech blog (TheUnlockr.com) for the past 6 years, he’s taken his over-analytical mind and made the transition to food.