Chef Michele Ragussis was kind enough to share her technique for caramelizing onions. Low and slow is the motto for this. Throwing them in over a higher heat will get the job done, but, according to Michele, doing it over the lowest heat you can and letting it take it’s time will really get the sugar and flavor out of them and is worth the wait.
Check the video below for how she does it and, let’s face it, if it’s how she does it, it’s probably how the rest of us should do it.
1. Slice your onions (for how to do that head to our How to Slice Onions video).
2. Pour some of your oil into a pan on medium heat.
3. Add sliced onions to pan.
4. Turn down the heat to the lowest it can go and let simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add onions to whatever you want!